Valery Budny: There is no strategy and legislation in Russia enabling the full cycle processing of precious raw materials within the country

Valery Budny, Head of the Jewelry Russia program and CEO of the JUNWEX media holding, told Rough&Polished about the results of the meeting and pressing issues in the precious metals and precious stones (PMPS) and the jewelry sectors.

Yesterday

Paul Zimnisky: Natural diamonds face the risk of eroding their appeal if constantly discounted

New York-based independent diamond and jewellery analyst and consultant Paul Zimnisky told Rough & Polished’s Mathew Nyaungwa in an exclusive interview that the industry should do away with discounts. He said the industry should treat natural diamonds...

01 april 2024

Edahn Golan: Lab-grown diamond prices to continue declining

In an exclusive interview with Rough&Polished's Mathew Nyaungwa, Edahn Golan, proprietor of the eponymous Edahn Golan Diamond Research and Data, predicted that the prices of lab-grown diamonds would continue to decline, especially at the retail and...

25 march 2024

ADPA’s Ellah Muchemwa: G7 restrictions to bring extra costs from diamond mining to retail

The African Diamond Producers Association (ADPA), which has openly registered its disdain for the G7’s rough diamond trade restrictions, is of the opinion that the move will bring extra costs on all stages, from mining to retail. ADPA executive...

18 march 2024

Eduard Gorodetsky: Currently we see high demand for synthetic diamonds for use in technology segment rather than in jewelry

Director General of the Advanced Synthetic Research Center Eduard Gorodetsky told Rough&Polished about the current situation at the company, new exclusive technologies in the synthesis and production of lab-grown crystals, as well as the Research Center’s...

11 march 2024

Tehmasp Printer to take over as global CEO of IGI in October 2024

09 august 2023

Roland Lorie is stepping down as CEO of IGI after the grading lab was sold for $570m in May and will be replaced by Tehmasp Printer, who currently manages IGI's India operation. After 24 years with the company, Printer will take over as global CEO in October 2024.

IGI was founded in 1975 in Antwerp by Marcel Lorie and expanded under his son's leadership into a network of 29 laboratories and 18 gemology schools. IGI employs about 1,000 people mainly in India, and it was 80 per cent owned by China-based Fosun International Ltd, and the remaining 20 per cent belonged to Lorie.

Singapore-based BCP Asia II Topco Pte bought IGI. The company is wholly owned by Blackstone, the world's largest alternative asset management company, overseeing $991bn in assets.

Aruna Gaitonde, Editor in Chief of the Asian Bureau, Rough & Polished